Hello Fellow Adventurer,
It feels like I’ve just been treading water for the last couple of weeks. Winter has truly hit, and my whole family has been suffering from the winter blues. After the excitement of Lola’s birthday, we hit an expected lull and then an awful head cold knocked us all around (Belle even managed to lose her voice!).
But this weekend, I am feeling refreshed and ready to throw myself into everything once again. I have some wonderful plans and projects in store for the coming weeks and months, and am very excited to be able to share them with you soon… It feels as though the seasons are changing and Spring might be just around the corner (call me an optimist!) … and so things are looking up.
So here’s my little round-up of those things that have had me enchanted over the past couple of weeks, as well as a couple of things I am looking forward to.
- Ava and Lola had a special day with my brother and sister (in-law) on Saturday. For Lola’s second birthday, Aunty Sheree and Uncle Colin had the most lovely idea (and I can’t wait to reciprocate when we have some nieces and nephews!) to gift Lola with a special day out. On her birthday they presented her with a cute little voucher, entitling her to a day of fun! Well, Saturday was the day, and the girls were beyond EXCITED! They spent the day at Kelly Tarltons (how cute is that picture of them in mock-Antartica!?) and then topped it off with a picnic at Mission Bay and much fun time spent at the playground. It was wonderful to hear all about their day, and reminded me how quickly my little ones are getting big, and so much more independent.
- We rescued a cattin (not sure if it’s a cat or a kitten, she’s 5 months old?!) from the SPCA a couple of weeks ago. Total spur-of-the-moment decision… this is what happens when Barry decides to go with me for a ‘quick trip’ to Spotlight. Anyway, she is pretty delicious, very smoochie and the kids love her. Ava got naming rights, and so I present to you, Rosie the Cattin!
- The week before last was Ava’s last week at Kindy for Term Two. I am amazed at how my girl has blossomed in such a short time. From those first few weeks (when we had tears every day – as well as some howling and a little crazed grasping as I tried to drop her off) we’ve had a dramatic turn around – to the point where I barely get a kiss goodbye because she’s off with her friends, doing her thing. Truth is, I love it! Sometimes I stop just out of view so I can watch her play… it’s quite delightful watching this life she’s developing outside of her life with me. During the last week of term, they had an exhibition to display the Clay Art the kiddies had been making… That’s Ava’s mask… I can’t wait to bring it home and hang it on the wall! It was super lovely to see all the littlies proudly showing off their artwork to loved ones.
- On the very last day of term, Ava attended her very first disco. I just can’t believe I have a child big enough to go to a disco (how old am I again?!). It was sooo super-cute I almost died. Honestly, we were fighting over who got to drop her off and pick her up just so we could have a sneak peek at the cuties.
Little delights I’m looking forward to…
There are also a couple of things that I am looking forward to over the next month.
- I have a couple of projects planned for decorating Belle’s nursery…. Much to my dismay, she’s outgrown the bassinette that has sat beside my bed for the last six months which means she’s moved in to Lola’s old room. I thought it would be nice to refresh the decor in there, as we really haven’t paid too much attention to the room since we moved in two years ago. Here’s a little sneak peek at one of my projects:
- My Mama and I have a date planned this Friday. Just the two of us. I am so excited as this is the first one-on-one time we will have spent together since before Belle was born. The Auckland Food show is on over the weekend, and I am handing the girls over to their Poppy and Daddy for the afternoon, while we go and peruse all the yummy goodness. It is testimony to my compulsive list-making that I have already compiled and printed off an itinerary of my must-see stalls at the show so we can be sure we don’t miss a thing (I LOVE this feature of the show’s website – most impressive!)