Whenever the girls show an interest in a particular subject, my first port of call is our local library website where I do a reverse year subject search (yes, I’m a total library geek!) and generally find at least a dozen relevant books for us to read.
The girls love baking with me, and I never realised what a great collection of both non-fiction and fiction children’s titles there are on the subject.
Our favourite was the book pictured above, Easy as Pie(ages 4+) written by Cari Best and illustrated by Melissa Sweet. The story follows Jacob as he bakes his very first (peach) pie, following his idol’s, Chef Monty, rules along the way. By the end of the story he’s added a few rules of his own. The illustrations are fantastic, and there’s a pie recipe at the end of the book too.
Here are some others we enjoyed…
- A Little Bit of Loveby Cynthia Platt (ages 3 +) Mama mouse takes her daughter on an excursion to gather ingredients for a pie, and on the way teaches her how that pie is full of ingredients made with love.
- Sophie Bakes a Cakeby Tina Burke (ages 3+) What happens when baking goes wrong!
- Who Made This Cake?by Chihiro Nakagawa (ages 4+) Super Mini-bakers who approach baking like a construction project!
- Can We Lick the Spoon Now?by Carol Goess (ages 3+) Moral of the story: Children are patient. Dogs are not… And there is a chocolate cake recipe at the back!
- Out and about at the Bakeryby Jennifer A. Ericsson (ages 7+) Field trip to a bakery.
- Professor Cook’s Mind-Blowing Bakesby Lorna Brash (ages 7+). Baking recipes meet science experiments.
- I Want to Be a Chef: Bakingby Murdoch Books (ages 10+). This book is full of heaps of yummy recipes. I think the recommended reading age is intended for children cooking by themselves? I don’t see why younger children couldn’t attempt the recipes with a little help – we sure have!
Do you have any favourite children’s books about baking? Oh, and does anyone else share my library obsession??!
PS… the age recommendations are according to Amazon – I assume it is reading level as opposed to age appropriateness. Also those book links are all Amazon affiliate links.